Marriott Faces London Lawsuit Over Vast Data Breach

After one of the largest data breaches in history on Marriott International, a leading hotel operator, millions of former guests have sued the hotels demanding compensation after their personal records were hacked. This has bought a London class action on the hotel operator.

Martin Bryant, founder of technology and media consultancy Big Revolution, is leading the claim for English and Welsh-domiciled guests. Between 2014 and 2018, after the hack, it is estimated that from the database of Marriott’s global, the private data of more than 300 million customers was hacked records including passport and credit card details.

In a statement, he said, “I hope this case will raise awareness of the value of our data, result in fair compensation.. and also serve notice to other data owners that they must hold our data responsibly.

The lawsuits filed by the member seek unspecified damages for loss of control of personal data. It will automatically include guests that had made a reservation before Sept. 10, 2018, for one of the former Starwood brand hotels – including Sheraton Hotels & Resorts and St. Regis hotels.

Bryant is representing the case which is funded by Harbour Litigation.

Also Read: Amazon Aims To Expands Morrisons Deal To Enter Grocery Delivery Market

Marriott’s London-based spokeswoman said: “We don’t have a comment to make at this time.”

According to the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)  records of around seven million British guests were compromised by the hack. They last year proposed to fine Marriott 99.2 million pounds or $133 million.

In 2018, Marriott announced that the hackers had accessed its Starwood hotel reservation database. They have also notified the FBI. In a Maryland federal court, attorneys have also filed a lawsuit within hours and others in the U.S. and Canada.

Last October, after a landmark Court of Appeal decision that allowed a similar, the London class action has been filed in the High Court.